February 12, 2010

Sweet as a Rose - a V-day look

In a few days is going to be Saint Valentines Day. With all the commotion around the town, hearts all over, expensive jewelery and all the pink and reds, one has to think if we lost along the way, like so many other, the true meaning of this day. Around here we have our own V-day, called Dragobete. In Romanian traditions, Dragobete was the son of Baba Dochia, a somewhat winter queen in our storys. (baba means old lady). He was considered a love God. At beginning of time he used to be seen, but as people grew more and more evil, he became invisible. For him, young people had celebrations in nature which were followed by weddings. Another tradition was to make big fires on the hills early in the morning also by young adults. When noon came, girls started to run to the village ( they were see as flying, zburatorit). The boys chased them and if they caught they girl, that they fell in love with and also liked them, she would kiss them in full view. That is why this holyday is also known as "Dragobete kisses his girl" because the kiss meant the were engaged. In this time older lady's used to say "be careful not to get caught by Dragobete in the woods" to older girls or recently married ones. People had to take care of animals and birds and not make any sacrifices. On this day nature comes to life, bears come out from their dens, birds start to nest and spring slowly, but firmly starts to kick in.

"The day is known as "the day when the birds are betrothed". It is around this time that the birds begin to build their nests and mate. On this day, considered locally the first day of spring, boys and girls gather vernal flowers and sing together. Maidens used to collect the snow that still lies on the ground in many villages and then melt it, using the water in magic potions throughout the rest of the year. Those who take part in Dragobete customs are supposed to be protected from illness, especially fevers, for the rest of the year. If the weather allows, girls and boys pick snowdrops or other early spring plants for the person they are courting." (Wikipedia; I had no idea about this..there are so many regions in Romania and a lot more traditions in every one).

I decided to make a look based on the modern colors, because peasant girls didn't used make-up (But on what they used...that is another story):


It's a very simple look with little product, wearable even after this day. I didn't use powder for my eyebrows or black mascara. So..how to get it?
I mixted my foundation with my daily moisturizer for an even more sheer look. I used a little concealer under my eyes, around my nose and mouth. Cream blusher just on the apples of my cheeks. A dash of powder to keep it from moving (placed on my forehead, nose and chin and also around my eyes), a tiny amount of a darker powder for contouring ( I am so white that even Light seems dark on me). And that is it for the face.
Eyes are as such:
Don't laugh to hard on my "graphic". I know I am :))...but still let's go on.
I used a nude color on my entire lid (1), but didn't went pass the crease. I applied then a light rosy color on the crease (2) and a darker rose color on the outer "V"(3) and bellow the bottom lash line. Took a flat topped brush and a medium brown shadow and made a line as close to the lash line as i could (4). I used after that a white shimmery shadow under the brow and in the inner corner, meeting the dark rose color. Don't use a lot of product if you want a light, dewy look. To finish, i user a brown waterproof mascara (who knows what kind of present your man's going to give you...you need to be prepared :)) )
As for the lips...depends on your valentine :D. But I used a light pink gloss.

What products I used:
Face: * L'oreal Visible Lift, shade 105 Porcelain;
* Miss Sporty Creamy Blush, shade Bare;
* Golden Rose Silky Touch Compact Powder, shade 05;
* ELF Clarifying Pressed Powder, shade Tone 2;
Eyes:*1+2 -Perfect eyes,"I *heart* just you"( shade no.1);
*3+4 - Forres pallet, shade no.6;
(make the pictures bigger to see exactly)









* Miss Sporty, Waterproof Mascara, shade brown;

Lips: *Stilla Lip Glaze, shade grapefruit.

Hope you enjoy and have a nice V-day with your loved one!
Kissu

No comments:

Post a Comment